Canadian males’s basketball is again on monitor for 2024 Olympic qualifying.
Canada Basketball introduced Friday it’s sending a group to the ultimate qualifying match for the 2022 FIBA AmeriCup, set to start subsequent week in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The group beforehand skipped its November qualifier, citing well being and security considerations amid the pandemic. In January, FIBA fined Canada Basketball as much as $227,138 and threatened to dock one standing level for its failure to attend.
With Canada dedicated to play in Puerto Rico, that fantastic will probably be lower in half and the standing level restored. This system has additionally beforehand acknowledged its intent to attraction the punishment.
Glen Grunwald, CEO and president of Canada Basketball, stated in January he was searching for elevated well being protocols similar to extra testing and longer quarantine intervals with the intention to really feel comfy taking part in in Puerto Rico.
Groups will play in a “bubble” and will probably be examined day by day for COVID-19, whereas FIBA and Canada Basketball have put in place a sequence of further protecting measures.
Ranked 21st by FIBA, Canada is scheduled to play 4 occasions, twice every in opposition to the 51st-ranked U.S. Virgin Islands and No. 63 Cuba. Canada already cut up its pair of video games in opposition to the Dominican Republic (No. 19), the ultimate nation in its qualifying group, in February 2020.
Gordie Herbert, an assistant on Nick Nurse’s nationwide group employees, will function head coach. Aiding Herbert are former nationwide group participant Michael Meeks and Patrick Tatham.
The up to date roster is headlined by Anthony Bennett, the primary total choose from the 2013 NBA draft. The 27-year-old performed 151 video games within the NBA over 4 seasons with 4 completely different groups.
Getting back from final February’s roster are main scorers and beginning guards Phil Scrubb (20 factors per sport) and Kaza Kajami-Keane (13.5 ppg), a former Raptors 905er. Two different starters, guard Aaron Finest and centre Owen Klassen, are additionally on the preliminary roster.
Absent from the 2020 group on the latest roster are NBA veteran Andrew Nicholson and normal national-team mainstay Duane Discover.
WATCH | CBC Sports activities’ Vivek Jacob, Jevon Shepherd break down FIBA punishment:
2024 Olympics on the road
Canada should qualify for the 2022 AmeriCup with the intention to stay on monitor for 2024 Olympic qualifying. The highest three groups in every AmeriCup qualifying group will advance to the primary match.
The defending-champion U.S. group already introduced its roster for the February qualifier, together with former NBA all-stars Isaiah Thomas and Joe Johnson.
The qualifier has no bearing on the upcoming Tokyo Olympics. Canada should win a separate match starting June 29 in Victoria to succeed in the 2021 Summer time Video games.
- Anthony Bennett – Ahead – 6’8″ – Toronto, ON – N/A
- Aaron Finest – Guard – 6’4″ – Scarborough, ON – Boulazac (France)
- Johnny Berhanemeskel – Guard – 6’2″ – Ottawa, ON – Nanterre (France)
- Junior Cadougan – Guard – 6’1″ – Toronto, ON – Fraser Valley Bandits (CEBL)
- Jadon Cohee -Guard – 6’4″ – Langley, BC – Mgzavrebi (Georgia)
- Kadre Grey – Guard – 6’1″ – Toronto, ON – Hamilton Honey Badgers (CEBL)
- Jermaine Haley – Guard – 6’7″ – Vancouver, BC – College of West Virginia (NCAA)
- Kaza Kajami-Keane – Guard – 6’2″ – Ajax, ON – Le Mans (France)
- Owen Klassen – Centre – 6’10” – Kingston, ON – Boulazac (France)
- Kyle Landry – Centre – 6’10” – Calgary, AB – Ottawa BlackJacks (CEBL)
- MiKyle McIntosh – Ahead – 6’7″ – Pickering, ON – Le Portel (France)
- Conor Morgan – Ahead – 6’9″ – Victoria, BC – Joventut (Spain)
- Adika Peter-McNeilly – Guard – 6’3″ – Toronto, ON – Edmonton Stingers (CEBL)
- Phil Scrubb – Guard – 6’3″ – Richmond, BC – Limoges (France)
- Thomas Scrubb – Ahead – 6’7″ – Richmond, BC – Bourg (France)
- Grant Shephard – Ahead – 6’10” – Kelowna, BC – Carleton College (U SPORTS)